Installing a new shower is a great way to give an old and tired bathroom new life, and to treat yourself to a great new bathroom. Installing a new shower is within the ability of many homeowners, but it is important to take the steps necessary to do the job right the first time, and it is just as important to avoid some of the most common mistakes shower installers make.
Some of the most frequent mistakes made when installing a new shower include:
- Skimping on the pipe size. Using piping that is too small is perhaps the most common of all shower installation mistakes. It is important to use pipes of sufficient size when installing a new shower.
- Being ignorant of local building codes. It is always important to get the necessary permits, and to know the local codes and restrictions that may apply to your bathroom and shower installation or upgrade.
- Neglecting to use pipe compound or Teflon tape on the threaded joints. The use of Teflon tape is an important consideration with any type of plumbing.
- Attaching a copper pipe to a galvanized pipe without the use of a dielectric or brass fitting between the two types of pipe.
- Failing to level the fixtures as they are installed.
- Failing to install an air give filling in the fixtures.
- Cutting the supply stubs too short to install them onto the shutoff valves.
- Failing to properly align the tubing into the fittings or stop valves. If you force the nut onto the compression ring, leaks will be the result.
- Not bleeding air and dirt out of the lines. When you turn the water back on after the shower installation it is important to flush the toilets, or to run the outside hose valve in order to flush accumulated dirt and air from the lines. This accumulated debris will cause issues in the faucets and other plumbing fixtures.
It is important to always choose the highest quality fixtures you can afford when installing a new shower or bathtub. As you shop, it is important to look for not only the lowest price but the best value as well. The lowest price does not always mean the best value, so it is important to shop around carefully.
The best way to get that highly sought after combination of low price and high value is to shop around as much as possible. Complete shower installation kits and related fixtures are available at a wide variety of sources, including hardware stores, home improvement warehouses and even department stores and discount retailers. By shopping around you will be able to be sure that you get the best possible shower fixtures for your needs.
After you have purchase the best quality fixtures you can find, it is important to get complete instructions on how to install those fixtures properly. Most shower fixtures and shower installation kits will come with detailed instructions, but it is important to read through those instructions carefully before getting started. It is also important to make sure that you have all the tools you will need to complete the job. No one wants to end up heading to the hardware store for additional tools in the middle of an shower installation, so it is vital to make sure you have everything you need before you get started.