When it comes to scheduling a time to remodel your home, odds are your thinking is in line with most homeowners: plan for either the spring or the summer. The spring and summer are the most popular times of the year to complete a remodeling project for a number of reasons. First of all, the weather is less harsh - meaning that there's less of a chance of delays in the construction. Secondly, the days are longer - meaning that there's more daylight for your contractor to work during. However, there are also some advantages to planning your remodel during the winter. This may seem unorthodox, but it may actually benefit you more. The following are 5 reasons why you should schedule your remodeling project during the winter months:
- Contractors will be less busy - The busy season for contractors is during spring and summer. The winter is usually considered their slow season. This means that when you are researching contractors to work on your remodeling project, odds are pretty good you'll be able to work with whom you want. If you plan on remodeling during the busy season, you may have to go with your second or third choice contractor because your first choice already has his or her schedule booked with projects.
- You may end up with higher quality work - Because many contractors don't have very many projects on their schedules during the winter season, they will be able to focus more on you and your remodeling project. Not only will you get special attention, they will be less worn out from other projects, which means they'll be able to focus on delivering the highest quality work possible. Not to mention that because the winter is the roughest time of the year in terms of the home's exposure to the elements, you'll be testing out the renovations as they are made for durability.
- You may actually save money - Because the winter season is the slow season, many contractors will often offer discounts since there is such little demand for their services during this time of the year.
- You can schedule the remodeling while you are on holiday vacation - People often tend to stick around their homes during the summer and spring months because the weather is so nice. However, homeowners will more often than not plan a vacation away from home during the winter in order to escape the cold weather as well as to spend time with family during the holidays. This makes it the perfect time to remodel your home, since you won't be around during the construction process.
- Any outdoor remodeling projects will be done in time for spring - If you are planning on building outdoor projects such as a deck or patio, then building it during the winter will allow them to be ready for use in the spring, which is when you'll want to be able to take advantages of such features.
These are 5 reasons why you should consider planning your remodeling projects during the winter season instead of the traditional spring and summer seasons.